Balance of Bomb Power & Hero Speed

This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 7 months ago by admin.

• Author
     admin
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

Omega reached out to me with some suggestions and questions about how we’ll make BZT well balanced for competitive play. First, thanks Omega for starting the discussion.

We know that players ran pretty darn fast in Bomb Buddies. This fact made the game easier yet also reduced player strategy a bit.

Here are some questions regarding “power vs speed balancing” to start the discussion:
    • At speed 9 and power 9, should the player be able to drop a bomb and run in a straight line across the board and not get hit by his bomb – how tight should this timing be?
      • Should the player be able to outrun the explosion in the absolute worst case: the player just entered a tile (say on the right edge) and is just standing there, then drops a bomb, then .25 seconds later presses move to the left, then runs completely across the current tile (to the left), then can simply keep running in a straight line to the left and not be hit by his own bomb?
      • Or, should a running player in the exact middle of a tile be able to drop a bomb (while running) and barely escape his own bomb’s explosion (assuming he just runs in a straight line)?
    • At speed 8 and power 9, if player hero dropped a bomb and ran in a straight line across the board then should the player get killed by his own bomb?
      • Do people agree that if the player’s speed is less than bomb power, then the player cannot run in a straight line to get away from his own bomb and instead would have to hide behind a block to not be caught within the bomb’s explosion?
    • Should the tolerances for speed vs power be looser at the low end and tighter at the high end? Example:
      • At Power 2 / Bomb 2 – player can easily avoid his own bomb even running in a straight line
      • At Power 9 / Bomb 9 – player can barely escape his own bomb running in a straight line
    Give us some “in-game cases” that demonstrate the relationship you’d prefer between bomb power and hero speed. The more exact the example cases, the better we’ll understand your idea.
    NOTE: There is likely no way we will all agree on this topic because it greatly affects game balance. It is totally fine to disagree with people; yet, please be respectful of other people’s opinions even if and when they are the opposite of your own options.
     Marius
    Participant

Hi,

Really great that you started such discussion but I’m a bit confused. Why should there be a dependency between bomb power and hero speed? It sounds like a bad idea to me. Bombs should explode at constant timing. Acceptable timing is probably 0.5s — but it’s hard to say without testing.

Outrunning explosion should also be possible with certain techniques/tactics (which are used by human player). Of course, hero speed could be important factor (as it doesn’t make sense for low speed).

I agree speed 9 and 8 was very appealing …. and a lot we were using speed 7 … more we used a lot of fire 9 then fire 9 did not advise to take … I was lelel 400 in the game and used 9 bombs 9 fire speed 7 Punch and kick …

Randi K.
    Participant

I was also slightly confused. However, I think the timing of which the bomb explodes should definitely be consistent, no matter if a player has 9 speed and 9 power or 4 speed and 4 power. I had originally thought maybe a  player with 9 speed and 9 power should have a shorter bomb timer, but then I realized that it might not be fair as you can snipe another player too easily.

At 9 speed and 9 power, yes, a player can drop a bomb on the right side and run across to the other side of the map and dodge the explosion in time. That’s what made it kind of unfair.

“At speed 8 and power 9, if player hero dropped a bomb and ran in a straight line across the board then should the player get killed by his own bomb?”

Yes they should.

“Should the tolerances for speed vs power be looser at the low end and tighter at the high end? Example:

• At Power 2 / Bomb 2 – player can easily avoid his own bomb even running in a straight line

• At Power 9 / Bomb 9 – player can barely escape his own bomb running in a straight line”

This is a good idea, but again, that means the player’s bombs have to explode at a faster rate, meaning the player AND other players will have a shorter time to react, even if they have 7 speed 7 power or less.

Honestly, I would just get rid of the whole extra speed thing, though I know some people seem to like it. It just seems difficult to try and balance.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Randi K..
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Randi K..
     admin
    Keymaster

Great to get some feedback!

Bomb explode time, I think we all agree is a fixed time.

Here are an example:

• Bomb explode time 3 seconds
    • Power 9: Bomb explosion covers the start tile + 9 tiles = 10 tiles
    • Speed 9: Player needs to run 10 tiles to escape the bomb. So, his speed is 10 tiles / 3 seconds = 3.3333 tiles per second
    • Player starts with speed 3 for example (so, he can run 4 tiles before bomb explodes, or 1.3333 tiles per second)
    • Bomb power starts at 1 (2 tiles = center + 1), so the player can easily avoid bombs at the beginning because his inital speed value is greater than his bomb’s power

If the explode time is faster, then the player speed (tiles/second) is also faster. If the explode time is slower, then the player speeds should also be proportionately slower.

In theory everything indicates that it will work out the strategies of the movements …. now we will see in practice how the gameplay will be … just so to be sure ..

admin
    Keymaster

Understood

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Privacy Policy   Terms of Service  

©2020 Victory Lap Games Inc.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account